RE: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: digital read out from Rockler ?



I put the DRO’s on my Micro-Mark lathe and ended up taking the one on the compound feed off and reverting to the dial. The digital version had a ‘sticky’ spot that made it impossible for me to  do a smooth rotation. I spent hours working on it, but no matter what I tried I couldn’t get rid of that stickiness. The DRO on the cross slide works okay for now, so I’ve kept it. I love how easy they make it to zero out the reading, but I’m not sure it was worth the $160 to end up with only one that worked.

 

Rob Potter

Portland, Oregon

 

From: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com [mailto:GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of wongsterwish
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:36 AM
To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: digital read out from Rockler ?

 

 

Hi David,

I've the Sherline DRO on the lathe. It still slip (rotate) once in a while causing my reading to be out. Painful at times. I also find the handwheels now harder to turn. Tried sanding down some places in contact with the handwheels but didn't help. Feels like ripping it off and use those linear type.

Sorry for the OT.

Regards,
Wong

--- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "a3sigma" <dcclark111@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "wongsterwish" <wongsterwish@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi David,
> >
> > Are you planning to do the same to your Sherline?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Wong
>
>
> Hi Wong,
>
> No. I have Sherline's DROs on both their lathe and milling machine.
>
> It's not quite the same thing, of course. Sherline's DRO works by reading the turning of the leadscrew rather than directly measuring the table position. The difference is backlash -- its just reading the handwheels for you. Doesn't matter to me, though. Having spent a working lifetime running out the lash every time I turn a handwheel, it's so ingrained in the muscle memory of my hands I find I can't force myself not to do it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David Clark in Southern Maryland
>
>
> >
> > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "a3sigma" <dcclark111@> wrote:
> > >
> > > It appears complete and identical to the ones I'm using. See my DRO files at:
> > >
> > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GrizHFMinimill/files/D.C.%20Clark%20stuff/
> > >
> > > Price is comperable to what I paid as well.
> > >
> > > David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA
> > >
> > > --- In GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On Sale Now
> > > > DigiMAG Magnetic Digital Router Lift Remote Readout
> > > > $39.99Each
> > > >
> > > > http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25158&filter=30431&pn=30431
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > is this a complete unit ? or just the readout ??
> > > >
> > > > Dave
> > > >
> > >
> >
>



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___