Re: [GrizHFMinimill] Re: Opinions about mini-mill mod



I have tried an approach similar to this:  http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=5401so I could also tram the column in the Y axis. 

However, I have noticed that the saddle now binds up when it is moved in the Y direction close to the column.  After thinking about it some, I believe the base is being warped by the torque being applied via my "tramming" bolts (the torque is transferred from the pivot plate down to the base).   The original mod was done on a beefier mill -- at least as far as the base casting goes-- so it may not have been a problem for him.  It looks like it is for my mill (an SX2 from Micromark).

I have not scraped the pivot plate/base (yet).  At some time I may get around to that, maybe after I become a little more skilled with a scraper and have time to mess with it.  But at present I guess I'll just stick with my 1/2" thick plate on the back of the column, and take Gerry's advice about swapping in better fasteners.  If the Y axis is out too far to suit me, I'll just use shims.

Mark
 

__._,_.___

Posted by: mark.kimball2@frontier.com



__,_._,___