RE: [GrizHFMinimill] Removing collet chuck



What make and model of mill do you have?
 
You are doing the proper procedure for most mills, that is loosen the draw bolt a turn or two and tap (sometimes whack) the top of the bolt to release the taper.
 
How long has the mill been sitting with the drill chuck installed? Depending on how long it has been installed without being removed, and the weather in your area, it may have become quite stuck in place. It is best to remove any tooling when not being used. I learned this when I left my drill chuck in the tail stock of my lathe too long.
 
I'd start by removing the draw bolt and squirting a little WD-40 or penetrating oil down the spindle to help loosen it up.
 
If tapping on the draw bolt doesn't do it, then remove it and use a long brass rod (do not use steel) and tap on that. You may want to support the headstock with something to prevent undue stress on the column.

Michael - California, USA
Micro-Mark MicroLux 7x16
LMS 3990 Hi-Torque Mill

 
-----Original Message-----
From: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com [mailto:GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2016 11:50 AM
To: GrizHFMinimill@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [GrizHFMinimill] Removing collet chuck

 

Hi all


I am a new member and recently purchased a minimill.  I decided due to the lack of collets (I believe they are E32), but I am unsure exactly and want to see what else is on the market.  However, I cannot remove the chuck from the mill  and I am unsure whether it is morse taper or R8, I just cannot get it off, no matter how many taps (whacks) on the top bolt that i have loosened to remove the collet holder.


Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


Kind regards




__._,_.___

Posted by: "Michael Jablonski" <michaeljab@cox.net>



__,_._,___